By Vanessa Rincon
National Stem Day 2019 Edition

Meet Pablo Antonio Ramirez Santiago who graduated with a double major degree in Public Relations & Advert and Marketing Direction from the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus.

My experience at NASA has truly been unique, shaping me into who I am and pedagogy me a variety of unlike things on a daily basis. Right now, I don't really have a single project, as I'g helping with many of them. I currently work as a Spanish journalism, multimedia, and social media intern, helping with the Castilian scientific discipline communications at NASA. This doesn't just have to exercise with the translations of the unlike missions, but also the Live Shots programs and other projects that involve the Hispanic community.

Pablo is a three-fourth dimension intern at NASA'south Goddard Space Flight Center.

This was not e'er easy for me. Ane of the biggest challenges throughout my three internships here at Goddard was being able to communicate in English language, coming from a identify where my first linguistic communication was Castilian. Coming to Goddard, everything around me was in English, and it was my starting time time working in a place in which everything was in a completely different language. Notwithstanding, I was able to create content in Castilian, even though my relationships, communications, and interactions with other coworkers are completely based upon my knowledge of the English language. This was truly a goal for me, and it started out as a challenge, but I concluded up working hard considering of how I wanted to be able to communicate effectively in both languages.

Pablo and his mentor receive the Star Laurels in the Functional Services Segmentation at GSFC for their project.

I began here past participating in the summer poster session, which is a project that is meant to aggrandize NASA's scientific discipline communications in Spanish. This project was based upon enquiry that my co-mentor, Maria-Jose, worked on in 2011, and throughout the summer of 2018, we worked on finding funding for this projection. We were able to start a proposal that created a pilot project that helped centralize the NASA Castilian communications, and were able to focus on a business structure that was feasible enough to where we could notice the money needed to fund it. At this bespeak, my mentor and co-mentor worked closely with me, assuasive for me to win the Star Award in the Functional Services Partition here at Goddard, then allowing for the project to exist approved in April of 2019. All of this eventually led up to me taking my autumn internship, and I accept continued to put effort into my projects to truly make things come true for me.

Pablo's projection entails expanding NASA'southward science communications in Spanish.

I of the greatest things that I continue to learn from my mentor and co-mentor, as well as field of study matter experts, is how communications are consistently evolving and beingness reinvented. These are people who are always open to assist me and push button for me to ameliorate, and they show me that it is worth information technology to be perseverant on what I desire to accomplish and obtain.

Visiting a NASA centre for the start time when I was 11 years former, I felt that I would never exist able to notice a place here because of how my interests were not aligned neither with science nor with engineering. I chop-chop discovered in college that this was incorrect, and that the company did friction match my professional interests, pushing for me to apply for my internship. Eventually, I was contacted most an opportunity in which the agency was seeking someone who spoke Spanish, and from that point onwards, I have worked to where I am currently in my tertiary internship with NASA, hoping to anytime work for NASA professionally. My advice to time to come interns is: Believe in yourself and attempt new experiences! Sometimes you are going to feel desperate considering you don't know where you fit. But these experiences aid y'all discover what things you lot like the about and where you encounter yourself in the hereafter.

Are you interested in STEM communication? Consider applying to a NASA internship! You tin can find Summer 2020 intern projects at intern.nasa.gov. The Summertime 2020 application deadline is March 8, 2020. Start your intern journeying today! #NASAinterns #NationalSTEMDay

It was a few days before the Intern Photograph Challenge submission was due. The interns at NASA'south Johnson Space Center slowly shuffled into our weekly meeting, and you could hear the usual bouts of laughter muffled from the outside. It wasn't long before someone brought up the Intern Photograph Claiming. Equally a fiercely competitive and creative group, we knew nosotros had to create something unique to clutch Johnson Infinite Center's first win. Nosotros were in a special position being at our location since many of the suggested photos surrounded Mission Control or other iconic Johnson locations. This was to our advantage, only nosotros thought it would be too elementary to settle for the obvious. Additionally, gaining admission to Mission Command overnight would exist just as grandiose a challenge. A small grouping of united states decided that it would be best to pick a photo that wasn't originally suggested. Logan Bennett spearheaded the photo search with thoughts that nosotros needed something more eye-catching. After searching through hundreds of photos on NASA commons he had found the ane. Logan and Barry Berridge held a brainstorm session on how to tackle this multifaceted photo.

Many questions that needed to be answered included things like, "How practise we create the smoke?", "Where are we going to get the outfits?", and "How are nosotros going to do this with two days left?" It was clear early on that we were going to need to create a program. This photo was far too complex to "wing information technology." Logan made a dozen phone calls to local party and Halloween stores searching for something to create the orange smoke. He eventually concluded that we were going to need to purchase an actual fume point. Alex Kafer handmade the hats, the orange flight suits were purchased at Space Center Houston, and the remaining materials were collected at a local Walmart. We gathered our team and created our programme.

Our team consisted of (me) Jenna Kay Foertsch pictured on the left, Logan Bennett pictured in the middle, Dallas Capozza pictured on the correct, Alex Kafer not pictured because he was nether water belongings united states of america up, Meredith Murray was the genius behind the camera, and Barry Berridge was support.

NASA JSC Interns Jenna Kay Foertsch, Logan Bennett, and Dallas Capozza get comfortable in the water in training for taking their challenge photo.

It was time to take the photo. Saying that this "photoshoot" was madness is an understatement. We picked the nearby lake, Clear Lake, as our photograph spot. But, we went to the incorrect lake. We somehow ended upwardly at the lake beyond from Clear Lake infamously known every bit Mud Lake, or, alligator haven. Of course, nosotros didn't know we were in Mud Lake until various Johnson employees afterwards saw the picture and all did a double take on our location choice. Regardless, we plunged into the cold water. In the photo, the three astronauts have their legs tangled upwards. Every bit we were determined to be equally accurate as possible, we flailed in the water for quite some time trying to become our legs up. Alex had to somewhen dive in and push the states up for us to appear every bit if we were floating.

What followed included a flurry of comedic events. We dealt with a wet flare, hats flying abroad, and interns floating in opposite directions. We finally pulled it together and lit the flare. I wish I could say that our expressions of discomfort were an imitation of the photo and non a result of us flopping around. We eventually crawled out of the water and proceeded to walk around in our drenched flight suits. Passersby gave usa various funny looks. The looks could take been from the wet flying suits, or they could accept been that a group of kids just crawled out of Mud Lake, either way there was nothing to see hither, merely a few interns.

Alex Kafer, left, provided (literal) support from underwater during the photo shoot.

After Alex, Meredith, and Logan enhanced the photograph, the true challenge began. Our true creativity came with our efforts to advertise our photograph. Many of our interns shared the photo with their friends, families, and colleges. Alex, Logan, and Dallas spent quite some time reaching out to individual people to get attention to the photo. I contacted Space Centre Houston, Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership, and Citizens for Space Exploration for assistance. Being from the Space City was an reward that nosotros knew we needed to take advantage of. We also contacted groups such equally Space Hipsters on Facebook and other individuals on Twitter and Instagram. I had also previously participated in a NASA Social and posted information technology in the alumni group. The space community never fails to surprise me with their kindness and support.

NASA JSC Interns who participated in the fall claiming pose at the fall exit ceremony with the beginning place plaque they received.

Nosotros were elated when nosotros constitute out nosotros had clutched the victory. It was the weekend of our intern beach trip and nosotros ran upwards and downwardly the shoreline in celebration. In a true NASA manner, our inventiveness, hard work, and perseverance paid off.

About the Writer
Jenna Kay Foertsch, a Business organisation and Marketing Education major from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, is a NASA Intern at NASA's Johnson Space Heart. In her internship she helps to manage and amend a co-working infinite at JSC, utilizing WordPress capabilities, creating data dashboards, and producing strategic content for the Middle Operations Directorate.

I e'er had a passion for fine art and scientific discipline, only was unsure as to what career path would incorporate both interests. After doing some research, I discovered the Stem (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields and decided that I wanted to exist one of the world's trouble solvers – I wanted to be an Engineer.

When I informed my parents of my determination, my father replied, "Margo, why don't you practise something piece of cake?" Initially convinced that my father doubted my ability to perform well academically, I made sure to inform him of every A I earned throughout my years in high school to demonstrate that I had the power to succeed as an engineering student. Even so, it was not until I started my engineering journeying at Valencia College in Key Florida that I realized academia was not the only challenge I was going to encounter.

NASA Inters in flight suits at NASA Kennedy
NASA Kennedy'southward Jalime Vargas (left) and Margarita Bassil (right) in flight suits standing outside the Operations and Controls edifice at NASA's Kennedy Space Centre.

Walking into my "Introduction to Engineering" course, I was one of approximately xx women in a large auditorium filled with men. Realizing there was no corporeality of studying to overcome this surprising statistic, I found myself very discouraged. Looking for words of encouragement, I came across ane of John F. Kennedy'due south famous quotes during his speech communication nigh the Apollo program, "We cull to go to the moon in this decade and exercise the other things, not because they are piece of cake, but considering they are difficult." With those words in mind, I transfigured any feelings of discouragements into motivation and took the lead office for the engineering project assigned to each group. Although there were many hurdles forth the style, I discovered that embedded in every failure and mistake is a lesson to learn and a challenge to overcome.

This self-epiphany convinced me to attempt a goal that originally appeared out of reach – interning at NASA. With little to no previous experience besides treatment cash, I doubted my outset internship would be at ane of the globe's virtually prestigious aerospace agencies. Remembering my passion of opposing challenges, I converted every ounce of incertitude into decision and applied to an internship at NASA's Kennedy Infinite Center located in Merritt Island, Florida. I informed my parents that, if given the opportunity, I would accept the offer without hesitation regardless of how far it was from abode. To my surprise, I received and accustomed the offering on my altogether. Wishes do come true!

Interning at Kennedy Space Centre has allowed me to heighten my leadership and problem solving skills with the practice of open advice and collaboration. I besides get the opportunity to do my concept of transfiguration the NASA style past "declining forward" and interpreting mistakes as lessons. Going forward, I will apply this ideology to fuel my passion of becoming an engineer so that I may influence other women to pursue a degree in STEM and continuously better myself in both academia and life itself.

Ten years ago, I never imagined where I would be at NASA's Goddard Infinite Flight Center. Graduating from loftier school in the far south suburbs of Chicago, I received my available's degree in history, taking film product classes forth the mode. Afterward spending a summer at an archaeology field school deciding what to pursue for graduate school, I became enlightened and frustrated with the lack of educational, factual engaging media in regards to history. That led me to pursue a Primary of Fine Arts in Science & Natural History Filmmaking at Montana State Academy in Bozeman, Montana.

The Science & Natural History Filmmaking program at Montana Country University is the first program to offering a Master's of Fine Arts in the expanse of science and natural history flick. Students and alums work on various projects from blue chip films with BBC, programming for National Geographic, independent films nearly environmental issues and videos for the National Parks Service, NASA and more. The MFA was founded to teach scientists how to make films in a response to watered downwards scientific discipline and pseudo-scientific discipline programming that became prevalent.

While attending Montana State University, I worked on a multitude of projects from a feature film to smaller documentaries on the wildlife of the greater-Yellowstone ecosystem, geology and more than. It was while working on a full-dome planetarium film nigh gravitational waves when I became interested in interning at NASA. While working on the shoot, I had the opportunity to visit Goddard to film 360 video for the movie, Einstein's Gravity Playlist, where I met and learned about the projects that video producers at NASA work on.

Working in videography at NASA has been a great experience with its own challenges that are rewarding when they are conquered. Information technology is hard to compare to other internships, but doing videography is always interesting. One day I might exist interviewing an astronaut, the next day I might be helping to broadcast interviews with scientists across the land, and later that day working on the latest edit of a video nosotros might be working on. Information technology's ever heady to run across what each day brings. One thing I would say to remember or signal out with film every bit part of science communication, is how important it is. Most people tend to only think of science advice every bit strictly journalism, but there are and then many more mediums to communicate through which is why I am drawn toward 360 video and virtual reality to explore how it can be used to communicate in a more immersive way.

While at NASA, I had the opportunity to assistance with live shots in Goddard's circulate studio, and recently finished a video slice for the Hubble Space Telescope to celebrate some of the women who are continued to spacecraft. While working on the film, I met many inspiring women who carry the aforementioned message of perseverance paying off.

With merely a month left, I will exist concentrating on 360 video content for Goddard.